Are you ready for a quick and easy meal that’ll have your family asking for more? Are you a pizza lover? Are you looking for a recipe that cuts down on the calories and carbs of traditional pizza but still tastes fabulous? Then you are in the right place, my friend. Today we’re talking about Pizzadilla’s.
I originally pinned an image for Pizzadillas to my Food Finds Pinterest board, but the pin went to a dead source – it was just an image that made my mouth water but no directions [to be honest, I could have figured it out on my own, but let’s give credit where it should be given]. After Googling “Pizzadillas”, I came across the actual photo and recipe on Girls Guide To. The recipe lists a variety of ingredients you can put on your Pizzadilla – onion, green peppers, black olives, pepperoni, mushrooms and cheese [naturally, what’s pizza or quesadillas without cheese?]… but you can add anything you’d like [or remove if you’re a simple girl like myself]! So are you ready to read how fast, fun and delish this dish is? Ready. Set. Go.
Ingredients (from GirlsGuideTo]
- 6 – 10″ flour tortillas
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 30 pepperoni slices
- 1 medium bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 – 2.25 oz. can of black olives
- 1 small can of mushrooms
- pizza sauce
- Prep ingredients by slicing and dicing peppers and onions and draining mushroom and black olive cans
- Warm skillet over medium heat
- While skillet is heating, measure out 1/3 cup of cheese; of that use half on one-half of the tortilla
- Add toppings of choice
- Cover toppings with other half of cheese, fold empty side of tortilla over toppings
- Put pizzadilla in pre-warmed skillet and cook until brown and crispy on bottom
- Carefully flip tortilla [making sure your ingredients don’t fall out] and warm uncooked side until brown and crispy
- Remove from skillet, cut into thirds [for better dipping] and serve with warm pizza sauce
Super easy right? Are you having one of those “why didn’t I think of that” moments? I know I certainly did when I came across this recipe. Seriously, for how much I love pizza, and how I *try* to watch my carb intake, I totally should have thought of this months ago! Here’s some adjustments I made to this recipe – but you can follow whichever you like [or, add your own spin to it!]
- Use more cheese. Quesadillas are supposed to be cheesy so why limit it to 1/3 cup for each ‘zadilla? I like mine gooey.
- Experiment with additional toppings if you have time… or are adventurous!
- Use frozen peppers and/or onions if you want to cut down on prep time [I buy bags of sliced green peppers that I keep frozen for all sorts of recipes – super fast and doesn’t require the slice and dice of the fresh ones. And they still taste great.]
- Find 100% Whole Wheat tortillas at your local grocery store – why not make it a little healthier? 🙂
- If you’re making multiple pizzadillas, put two in the skillet at one time. While flipping may require a little magic at times, you’re going to enjoy your ‘zadilla quicker… and really, isn’t that the whole point of this recipe?
What super easy recipes do you pull out of the box when you don’t have time to cook a bigger meal [or just don’t feel like cooking]? I’m always looking for new dishes to add to my “to make” collection!