Happy first day of February, y’all! Can you believe we’ve survived our first month of 2014? I would be lying if I didn’t say I wanted stab my eye with an icicle a few times – winter in Minnesota has been brutal thus far! But enough about the weather [we’ve heard a lot about that lately], let’s talk about a topic that’s way more fun: The Super Bowl. It’s the only day that you watch TV for the commercials while consuming too much alcohol for a work night and forgetting all about your new years goal to eat healthier.
Fast Facts about Super Bowl Sunday [check here for more]:
- It’s the second-largest day for consumption of food and drinks for Americans [Thanksgiving is first]
- Over 50 million cases of beer is consumed
- Cost for a 30-second commercial: $4 million
- Tomorrow’s winner will receive the Vince Lombardi trophy, which is made by Tiffany & Co. and worth an estimated $25,000
- Tickets for the first Super Bowl were sold for $6 while the face value price for this year’s game range from $500 – $2,600
- Economic impact in NY/NJ area from Super Bowl spending: $550-$600 million
My personal insights on these fast facts: 1. Miller Light is really happy when it’s Super Bowl Sunday 2. I’m in the wrong form of advertising 3. The Super Bowl better come to Minnesota when the new Vikings stadium is complete so we can see some of that economic impact [if only to fix the potholes]
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The hubs and I don’t have any plans for tomorrow [I think this is the first time in many, many years] and to be honest, I’m really excited. I don’t mind a quiet night at home, enjoying all those commercials [and the game, I suppose] and only being a little bit gluttonous with a pizza and some wine. BUT, for those of you who made last minute plans to head to a party, or if you’re hosting one, I’ve pulled together a small list of delicious last-minute appetizer ideas.
Those mini deep dish pizzas have been on my radar for a while and I hope to make them soon. I also love the idea of those veggie cups – and transporting them in a muffin pan will make your life 10x easier. I hope you’ve found some these handful or recipes helpful; hopefully you have most of the ingredients on-hand already.
Enjoy your Super Bowl Sunday – and if you need an activity to get your game face on, or to liven up the party, test out this fun Super Bowl drinking game. Only requirement: you must report back how it goes… if you can remember. 😉